Cemetery

The historic Steele Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery isn’t much different from the average cemetery adjacent to the churches in the South except for its size.

It is surrounded by a field stone rock wall gathered and collected by church members.  Within the walls are very old tombstones, no doubt hand-hewn by local craftsmen.

Many contain the family coat of arms and tell stories of tragedies which befell a family or community.

The oldest tombstones are located on the east side of the drive toward the back wall, indicating that the earliest church building was placed there with the burial ground at the rear of the church. The oldest stone is dated in 1765, although during those early times, most homes had a private family burial ground on their farms. The church Sanctuary, built in 1889, and the Cemetery have been identified as Historical Landmarks. There are over 3,000 members, friends, and family resting in the Cemetery. Included are a signer of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, four Generals, numerous Revolutionary and Civil War patriots, more than twenty-five ministers, and the parents of Rev. Billy Graham.

A Cemetery Committee of the church administers and cares for the property and its maintenance. They manage a trust fund for the perpetual care of the Cemetery grounds. In 2009, a columbarium was added to provide another option for one’s final resting place. The committee published a record of all interred in the Cemetery in 2006, which can be obtained by contacting the church office at (704) 588-1290.